Monday, March 24, 2014

Don't You (Forget About M/E)


Saturday, March 24, 1984

Don’t pump your fist, Bender. Turn it upside down and extend your thumb. Two errors exist in quick succession during the end credits for The Breakfast Club, an ‘80s classic, and you shouldn’t approve. 

Our, ahem, co-mission, readers, if you choose to accept it, is to find and fix these Breakfast flubs. (Don’t ask Brian for help. He’s busy fixing a lamp.)


Our first stop is the intersection of MAIN and NORTH, where a situation is brewing. The E that was hanging out at the corner of MAINE is missing. Maine North was a high school in Des Plaines, Illinois, in a Cook County subdivision known as Maine Township. It closed in 1981, and The Breakfast Club filmed there in 1984. The “Shermer High School” library was an elaborate set constructed in the Maine North gym.

That’s the Maine error in these end credits, though it’s not the main one. An agency’s powers have been diminished. An M has been put out of commission, literally. What happened to the other M in COMMISSION? Is it being detained, with the brain, athlete, basket case, princess and criminal? Nah. Letters, like screws, fall out all the time. The world’s an imperfect place.

That’s what I think. That’s what fist-pumping, earring-wearing Bender thinks.

I know this post wasn’t at least 1,000 words. Oh, well. I suppose I’ll have another nine hours next Saturday to ponder the error of my ways.

4 comments:

  1. That is incredible that they could have two errors in that one screen shot. Both such different ones because whoever mad that up might not have known how Maine North is spelled but to also flat out misspell the other word is crazy. Great catch and yes you were only 1/4 of the way to 1000 words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They might not have known, but they should have checked … and verified. They aren’t the only ones who messed up, though. Someone else has dropped an “e” from a word beginning with “ma.” That someone else is you, Chas, you neo maxi zoom dweebie! Omit an “e” again and I’ll have to Chas-tise you for your carelessness. And you wouldn’t like me when I’m made, er, mad. By the way: Does this 82-word reply count toward my climb to 1,000 words?

      Delete
    2. Oh you got me. I should always proof read my writing. This site and administrator is tough on those errors. If anyone drops by make sure you bring your "A" game or risk the consequences. :)

      Delete
    3. I count at least three errors in that four-sentence comment, Chas, but I’ll let ‘em slide. That’s just the kind of magnanimous person I am.

      Delete