Friday, December 9, 2011

The Future Is Here

My closest friends are well aware that a certain '80s classic about a teenager and a "crazy, wild-eyed scientist" is my favorite movie, hands down. Even casual acquaintances figure out rather quickly that I love Back to the Future, as can most people who are in my vicinity whenever my text-message ring tone is triggered.

Why is this "power of love" so strong? Is it because the film was unlike anything I had ever seen — and have ever seen since? Is it because of Michael J. Fox's terrific performance? (A bit of trivia: The role of Marty McFly originally went to Eric Stoltz, who shot weeks of footage before being replaced.) Is it because the smash hit is an enjoyable mix of genres, including comedy, drama, adventure and sci-fi?

Nah. It's because one of my hobbies is time traveling. What, you don't believe me? Fine, what is today's date? December 9, 2011. Now, take a gander at the date of the Connecticut Post newspaper I read today. That's right, it's two days from now. I took my DeLorean out for a little spin this morning, reached 88 miles per hour and, well, you know.

You'll be relieved to learn that I didn't run into my future self on the 11th, nor did I disrupt the space-time continuum. I did, however, watch the Colts-Ravens NFL game. SPOILER ALERT: The Ravens win. Now, how could I possibly know that if I didn't travel two days into the future? I also now know all about the incredible Dec. 11 story that garners front-page headlines, but I don't want to spoil things. You'll hear all about it in a couple of days.


No comments:

Post a Comment