Thursday, July 26, 2012

The Summer of My Discontent

Today's post, much like a McDonald's cheeseburger, can be consumed quickly. It will not, however, lead to indigestion.

The image at right is from a full-page ad touting healthier Happy Meals. That is appreciated, McDonald's, but summer need not be capitalized. Lowercase summer, spring, autumn and the like unless they are part of a proper name or formal title. Some examples:

My mother loves fall colors.
The Fall 2012 semester begins in two weeks.

I loathe winter weather.
I'm going to win a gold medal at the Winter Olympics.

In the spring, I look forward to the hot, hazy days of summer.
I attended the Tempe Spring Festival with Summer Sanders.

I hope this helps to clarify the issue. It's open season on improper capitalization. Hunt for misuse.

1 comment: