Monday, October 19, 2015

You Oughta "Know"

What do you mean?

Your second sentence, after the semicolon, is unintelligible.

Now, now, don’t cry like Bieber during the 2015 VMAs. We can fix this.

How do I know? Well, I begin with a k.

In all seriousness, I know because I’ve got now/know know-how. I mean it. If you could see my face right now, you’d be a Belieber.

Now, you see, is an adverb referring to the present; know is a verb denoting a sense of understanding. The distinction is common, um, nowledge.

In that five-word construction that follows the semicolon, your first now shines, but your second one isn’t too bright. If it had a k, it’d know better.

Now and know each need to appear, as Bieber belted in his debut song, “One Time.”

I need you, know.

I need you now.

No comments:

Post a Comment