Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Mayday! Mayday!

My friend Lindsay, of IAMNOTASTALKER, visited her parents over the holiday weekend. While Lindsay and her familial crew were on a, um, march toward the Palm Springs Art Museum four days ago, her mom spotted the sign shown below and knew something, ahem, may be wrong. Lindsay, the good friend that she is, snapped a photo for me. Her husband read the sign twice and couldn't figure out why she was taking a picture. Can you?

Memorial Day, a day to remember and honor all our brave men and women who have died while serving in the U.S. Armed Forces, is traditionally observed on the last Monday of May.

That's not what I'm observing on this museum sign, which exhibits some unusual information.

What's going on out in California? Memorial Day is in March? Is St. Patrick's Day in May? And what about the Fourth of July? I suppose that's celebrated in June.

Lindsay's mom joked that Californians celebrate Memorial Day twice. On the West Coast, it seems, the federal holiday once known as Decoration Day marks the unofficial start of the summer season and the spring season.

If we're allowed to double up on our holidays, I'm formally requesting that Congress officially recognize a pair of Thanksgivings — one in February and one in November. But I'm drawing the line at pushing for a semiannual celebration of my birthday. I'm getting too old too fast as it is.

5 comments:

  1. Wow... I must admit that I read that over and over and didn't see the mistake either. Its funny how some holidays (Christmas, Thanksgiving, Independence day) would stand out more if you got the month wrong.

    I checked your blog today as soon as I heard on the news that there was a Mitt Romney iPhone app that misspells America. I thought maybe you would jump on that. Of all the words to misspell!

    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57443522-37/mitt-romneys-iphone-app-spells-america-incorrectly/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am learning about the Romney “Mitt-stake” from you, John. Thanks for sharing! That’s a classic. Oh, the irony of “A Better Amercia.” If he wants to fix that misspelling (and he should!), I’m sure there’s an app for that.

      Delete
    2. Your response literally made me LOL, Owen! :)

      Delete
  2. What I find difficult to believe is that no one who worked there noticed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don’t know if workers don’t notice or don’t care. Of course, one is just as bad as the other. Sigh.

      Delete