Monday, February 3, 2014

I Examine "Nation"

Chase what matters. What matters are equality, justice and … capitalization, which I broached during a patriotic address last July. In the summer of 2013, the U.S. lacked capital. Today, the third day of Black History Month, our nation is at risk. (Thank you to my friend Lindsay, of IAMNOTASTALKER, for stumbling upon a Chase Bank in Santa Monica, California, with extra capital and sharing today’s black mark.)

Let’s cut to the chase. We have a problem in our nation’s capital. No, not D.C. For some reason, a certain common noun contains an uppercase letter.

In the spirit of Martin Luther King Jr., Rosa Parks, Jackie Robinson et al, I’m going to bring about change in our Nation. Those three pioneers encountered violence, oppression and discrimination at every turn. My struggle for justice pales in comparison; it is free of risk and encumbered by nary a great obstacle. The harshest resistance I’ll face, should I meet any at all, will come in the form of a mean-spirited reader comment or two. I can live with that.

Here, then, is my vision of revision. It’s detailed and complicated, so try to stay with me.

Change N to n. Nation’s N-trance should be smaller, if you will.

You can bank on it.

________________________________________________


I’d like to end today’s post with an unrelated question:

Did you hear about the killing in New Jersey yesterday?

It would have made Tony Soprano proud. It made me proud.

Seattle slew the opposition last night.

Thank you, Seahawks, for, ahem, outmanning the Denver Broncos and putting Peyton in his place. That was truly a super Super Bowl. Some readers may be disappointed, but the Super Bowl XLVIII outcome was just what those of us who have had our fill of Denver’s quarterback wanted.

The Seahawks tamed the Broncos from start to finish, and the Space Needle-sized margin of victory was a joy to witness. The Broncos were beaten like the eggs in a Denver omelet.

Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment