Monday, April 28, 2014

Garlic Not

I love a good burger just as much as, nay, more than the next guy. Swap “good spelling” for “a good burger” and the previous sentence holds true. That is why an entry from a menu for Corey’s Catsup & Mustard, pictured below, is fodder for When Write Is Wrong.

The “Bruschetta” burger description contains nine words, four of which could be troublesome to spell. Corey’s aced the arrangement of the Italian-based antipasto. Corey’s remembered to paste an e when creating the plural of the reddish vegetable, er, fruit. Corey’s breezed through the Italian cheese, avoiding the mistake many make: substituting an a for the second o. Corey’s, undeterred by all the c’s, seized the opportunity to cook the flat bread to perfection.

Four for four. My compliments.

Alas, Corey’s failed to complement that foursome with a competent condiment. Was Corey’s cognizant of its misplaced consonant? I’m not confident. Consequently, I’m here today to let Corey’s know that, unlike demons and vampires, it does not have to be averse to a certain pungent-smelling plant bulb.


My beef is with the garlicky garbled spelling, which doesn’t cut the mustard, and I want to fix it. (Betty Crocker isn’t the only hamburger helper.) Let’s transpose the second and third letters of the penultimate word. Ah, much better. No more artificial flavors. Now this menu, like my burger preference, is well done.

This isn’t the first time Corey’s Catsup & Mustard has been in the news. The popular burger joint in Manchester, Connecticut, was featured on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives in 2011. You can check out the video on the restaurant’s official website, here.

The misspelling had my head hurting, but the rest of the menu had my mouth watering. Of the restaurant’s dozen burgers, I’m leaning toward the “Rodeo,” topped with cheddar cheese, bacon, fried shoestring onions, barbecue sauce and ranch dressing. Place it on a warm pretzel bun (for an additional 75 cents) and I’d flip for that burger.

Remember, Corey’s: To avoid being fodder for When Write Is Wrong, proper spelling is integarl. Ah, you know what I mean!

No comments:

Post a Comment