Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Comma, Let's Celebrate!

The misuse. Of periods makes. It difficult to. Comprehend. What you’re reading. Commas placed, in the wrong spot are, also a cause for, concern. Many sentences require semicolons, they have commas instead. And don’t get me started on people who “incorrectly use” quotes or put a question mark at the end of a declarative sentence?

My exclamation point, and I do have one, is that punctuation is important. Instead of presenting a typical post today, I thought I’d let everyone know that Sept. 24 is National Punctuation Day — the 10th one, in fact.

Jeff Rubin created the holiday in 2004, and according to NationalPunctuationDay.com (yes, there is a website), it’s “a celebration of the lowly comma, correctly used quotation marks, and other proper uses of periods, semicolons, and the ever-mysterious ellipsis.”

In short, it’s a punctuation celebration — and I’m down wit’ NPD. So, let’s grab our trusty red pens and, well, paint the town red! I suggest we do some of the following today:

• Watch a period piece.
• Look for cereal commas in our Alpha-Bits.
• Attend an MLB game, but only if Bartolo Colon is pitching.
• Compete in a 100-meter dash.
• Look up interrobang. (You’ve never heard of an interrobang? Say what‽)

Before we head out, allow me to punctuate today’s “punctuation matters” message with an assortment of humorous images I found online. Happy NPD!










No comments:

Post a Comment