Wednesday, December 18, 2013

The Seven-Year Glitch

My brother, a University of Connecticut graduate, noticed this graphic while watching a Big East tournament game, and he champed at the bit to bring it to my attention. Thanks, Bro!

You don't need to be a Huskymaniac to find the error. In fact, you don't need to have any interest in sports. You do, however, need to have a sharp eye.

We're down two in the closing seconds, readers. I've just dished a pretty pass to you at the top of the key. The opponent's best defender is in your grill. Can you shake him off, shake off your nerves and hit the clutch shot? If you figure out today's error, you hit a tying basket, sending the game into overtime. If you figure out today's error and know exactly how to fix it, you sink a game-winning 3-pointer. If you can't spot the error, we lose. Losing is not an option.

3, 2, 1...


The Connecticut Huskies, as the graphic reveals, have captured seven Big East tournament titles. In which seven seasons were the Huskies in seventh heaven? The ESPN graphic shows us. Well, sort of. Count those championships. One of the seven has been deep-sixed.

This Huskymaniac needed no outside assistance to fill in the gaps. I knew right away that the one that got away was '99. Connecticut, with a 25-2 record, was the top seed in the 1999 Big East tournament. Following a first-round bye, the Huskies squeaked by Seton Hall 57-56 in a quarterfinal game that had me pacing so much in the closing minutes I believe the tread marks are still visible on my parents' living room floor. I had no reason to pace during the semis, when UConn crushed Syracuse 71-50, and the Huskies rolled in the finals, routing second-seeded St. John's 82-63 on March 6. Twenty-three days later, with my brother and I in attendance at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg, Florida, the Huskies defeated Duke to capture their first national title.

U-C-O-N-N ... UConn, UConn, UConn!

No comments:

Post a Comment