Friday, July 4, 2014

Curses!

It’s been 106 years since the Chicago Cubs won the World Series. Myriad theories exist to try to make sense of this long drought: billy goats, black cats, Steve Bartman. It’s all conjecture.

Until now.

I think I’ve pinpointed the true reason the Cubs have been, as many claim, cursed: scoring. It’s not that the Cubs don’t score enough, or that they give up too many runs. I believe they’re being shortchanged when they do score. The proof seems to lie in this MLB recap from my local paper. Chicago outfielder Nate Schierholtz had a half-dozen RBIs, yet the Cubs were awarded only five runs. Granted, five runs was enough to pull out this game against Washington, but I wonder how many one- or two-run Chicago losses over the years were the result of shoddy scorekeeping.


For those who are curious, the Cubs won this game 11-1.

Quick question before I go: If you are a young writer covering this hard-luck National League team, does that make you a Cubs cub reporter?

No comments:

Post a Comment